Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

First Impressions

I named this blog Another Legacy, as my wonderful STB mare is nicknamed Legs in honor of her sire, Nuclear Legacy.  Although they didn't get their first choice of registered name for her (she is registered as Veruca Salt), I often show her in open shows as Just Legacy or First Legacy.  It is ironic that I ended up with Valiant Legacy (aka Larry) as my second STB.  The other irony is that despite the name similarity, Larry (a trotter) has no close common ancestors with Legs (pacing bred but prefers to trot).  So First Legacy was my, ahem, first legacy, and Valiant Legacy will be another legacy of equine companionship and competition for me.  I feel very fortunate that I was chosen to give him a home.

With Larry settling into his new home, I was eager to assess my new equine friend.  As one would expect from a previous national halter champion, he's a very nicely built horse, who looks quite capable of successful athletic performance.  His racing career has left him with one or two miniscule blemishes, but nothing of any consequence or concern.  He's light on muscle from not having much riding or work over the past year, but a good training program will soon fix that.  His head is gorgeous and refined with large soft eyes and a slightly dished face; a staunch rebuttal to those who call all Standardbreds "jug heads."  He could easily pass for a Morgan or half-Arabian.  He is a true black with a star and one white foot, making him ready for the casting call for "Black Beauty."  lol  His mane and forelock are ridiculously thick; he could lose 75% of it and still have very full tresses.  His has a long shaggy bridle path as he was trimmed "Arabian style" a few months back.  I trimmed where the bridle rests, but left the rest to grow out until I decide how I will style his mane.

I have never met a friendlier horse.  He's eager to introduce himself and get attention.  I can tell that he's exploited his good looks and charm to his advantage, though, as he's nippy side from expecting treats.  So far I haven't seen any inclination of spookiness from him, as he's been unconcerned about road traffic, poles and obstacles on the ground, and even a sweatshirt and landscape flag being flung around by his face (First he licked it, then he tried to eat it!  Yes, eat it!).  He's far from a dead-head though, as he comes alive on the lunge line and is sharply responsive to showmanship cues (we need to work on understanding each other, though, or we'll end up backing clear across the arena when I'm only trying to cue for 5 steps!).  He trotted cantered readily on the lunge line (albeit after some celebratory bucking).  As a trotter, he has a more rounded stride than Legs, though he may lose some of the knee action once his feet are trimmed, as they are currently quite long.  He's a nice height (15.1 1/2) and in good flesh, despite not being on grain.  He's not perfect, as he doesn't like dewormer and won't tolerate having his ears clipped (yet!), but overall he has an excellent foundation and has good manners.  He sometimes pulls back a little when tied (cross-ties great, though), but doesn't panic - just maintains tension.  It's still something that we'll work on, though.

WARNING: shameless plug for Off Track Standardbreds.  Yes, I am biased.  My bias is based on my personal experience.  OTSTBs make excellent pleasure and show horses.  As a whole, the breed is hardy and easy to care for, with good feet and good dispositions.  On the track, they are handled daily, they are used to being driven amongst other horses pulling jog carts and tractors working the footing, and they are trained to trot or pace behind a Cadillac with giant swinging arms (mobile starting gate for those unfamiliar with harness racing).  If you can think of a better way to acclimate horses to odd vehicle traffic, I'd like to hear it!  They come off the track used to wearing a harness and other equipment, being driven, trailered, cross-tied, groomed and bathed, and having their feet worked on.  They can and do train and race barefoot quite successfully and soundly.  My experience has been that they tend to be calmer and lower maintenance than other racing breeds.  There is no single breed type, and individual STBs are often mistaken for Thoroughbreds, Quarter Horses, Warmbloods, Walking Horses, Morgans, and Arabians, and in heights ranging from 14.1 hh to 17+ hh, so you can find what you're looking for within one breed.  Contrary to some of the negative stereotypes about them, there are a great many beautiful examples with pretty heads, nice conformation, and nice movement.  There are also many caring owners and trainers who will give you an unsuccessful harness racehorse for next to nothing or even for free if you are trustworthy and agree to provide it a good home.  And yes, they can canter!   I urge you to consider one for your next riding or driving horse.

OK, I'll get off my soap box now.  lol

4 comments:

  1. What a great read!!! Thanks so much for sharing...so happy that Larry is with you and I am really looking forward to seeing him again the the show ring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, know I understand (sort of) what ownership of this fantastic animal means to you.
    Good luck and stay on his back and not under his feet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to the blogging community! :D I love hearing how Larry is doing. I am eager to follow along and see how he progresses for you. Sounds like he is fitting right in!

    ReplyDelete