Pages

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Christmas in October

Even though I had only found out that I would be getting Larry a scant two weeks prior, the wait suddenly seemed unbearable.  I waited and planned and schemed, and hoped that Rob wouldn't change his mind (though I certainly would have understood if he did), but mostly waited.  Conveniently, the Grand Circuit had come to the Red Mile and Rob was able to find a trailer headed from NJ to KY with an open spot.  Larry would spend the night at the track, and I would take him home the following day.  I felt giddy like a kid at Christmas; I couldn't wait to get him and start working with him.  My Christmas came on 10/15 when I got to take him home.  I was able to spend much of the day at the track on the backside, a new and exciting experience for me.  Rob let me help prep one of his charges for a race, a good looking 3 year old colt, a stakes winner, and as nicely mannered a colt as you could ever wish for.  A close second place finish kept us out of the winner's circle, but I have no doubt he'll get there next time.  I thoroughly enjoyed my "backstage pass" to harness racing and it was nice to meet so many people with a genuine love of the horses and the sport.  I took Larry home that afternoon.  Rob was understandably sad about letting him go; I sympathize, having gone through a similar situation with my palomino gelding.  I was both excited for myself, and sad for him, as I know how much Larry means to him.  I hope that chronicling Larry's new adventures in photographs and blog posts will help to make the transition easier, and I hope that he is able to come visit often.

The trip home was quiet and uneventful.  Larry scoped out his new surroundings, stared for a while at the cattle across the street ("what kind of funny looking horses are those?"), but was basically unconcerned.  After a break in his new stall and paddock to let him rest and stretch his legs after two days of travel, he got a bath and a brief spa day.  My ocd side felt the need to shampoo and condition his exorbitant mane and forelock, and to put it in braids to keep it out of the way.  Once clean and dry, I fitted him with a safety halter and let him enjoy some peace and quiet.     

No comments:

Post a Comment